RUBICON South African Fashion Week Autumn Winter 2014South African Fashion Week continues with Rubicon’s Autumn Winter collection for 2014. The Johannesburg designer Hangwani Nengovhela was on hand to discuss the garments. The short dress styles are A-line and posturized; necklines are off-center or scooped; most of the tea-length dresses have vertical or wavy piping detail, pleats and folds; trousers are generous boot-cut with large stitched front pockets; billowy jumpsuits with classic length; skirts with diagonal piping detail front and back; padded shoulders; texturized knits; velvet accents and panels; sheer chiffon skirt capes, cowl collars, and mid-calf boots; all define this amazing collection.
Organic cotton, silk, satin, lace, chiffon and linen are some of the fabrics in this fashion show.
Each garment in this collection has an air of sophistication and tailored subtle African opulent craftsmanship. This collection is sensual, tactile, elegant with a heady dose of strength and daring. Each item in this show is such a joy to look at that it is hard to name just a few garments that had more wow-factor than any others. However, here are my favorites:
• Silk, African Violet color dress that tapers neatly to an above-the-knee hem, with jewel neckline, wavy piping and fitted narrow long sleeves;
• Silk Brocade, Arsenic color, full-length fitted A-line dress with matching belt, cowl neckline, chiffon cape over skirt;
• Silk, Bazaar color boot-cut classic length trousers with high waist;
• Silk, China Rose color above-the-knee slim-fitted skirt with medium waistband and diagonal black piping;
• Silk, African Violet color full-length dress with scoop neckline, elbow-length sleeves, double front panels, and Burgundy velvet accents at the top of the bodice and at the end of each sleeve.
The designer continues to show her elegant style that pays tribute to the classic feminine body.